1. Find one that will fit your lifestyle and provide comfort for your pet. You don’t want to get one that is over-sized or undersized.
2. Look for a backpack dog carrier that is made of a durable material and that have mesh sides for ventilation.
3. Look for one that will fit your purpose. If you want it for hiking, a heavy duty one may be best. Likewise, if you want to shop downtown with your pet, fashion may be a higher priority. The great thing is that you don't have to compromise one to get the other these days.
4. Backpack dog carriers offer more freedom than taking your pet on a leash as your hands are free to carry purchases, a walking stick, purse, etc., and are great for pets that have a hard time walking.
5. Weigh and measure your pet to find one that will best fit your needs.
6. Be sure to carry plenty of fresh water, when taking your pet with you, especially if you are going to be using it for a long period of time.
7. Take your pet out of the backpack carrier. Dog's especially need and love to exercise. Let him exercise his legs and take a potty break.
8. Be a responsible owner and take extra care and precautions when carrying your furry friend.